What is a Laser Sensor?
What is a laser sensor?
A laser sensor is a type of sensor used to measure position using a laser, it is part of our product range here at Ixthus. They are used throughout many industries for applications where position measurement is required.
How do Laser Sensors Work?
The laser sensors we offer at Ixthus work on the triangulation principle.
The sensor is made up of a laser, a CCD array and a signal processor. The laser is pointed at an object, the radiation from the laser bounces off of the object, back to the sensor, through a lens and into the CCD array. The signal processor can use the angle of the received radiation and the intensity to determine the distance of the object from the sensor.
What is a Laser Sensor Used For?
Because they are a non-contacting measuring device, laser sensors are well used in manufacturing and packaging environments. They can be used to detect the level of liquid in bottles so the food and drink industry is another popular area. Some other applications include;
- Displacement measuring - checking if an object has moved and that it has moved the required amount.
- Thickness measurement - a laser sensor is placed above and below an object to measure the thickness.
- Dimension measurements - laser sensors can measure the dimensions of a given object and check thickness levels of different areas.
- Object Sorting - a laser sensor can detect if objects are different shapes and sizes.
- Profiling - detecting the profile of a given object and determining the shape.
- Liquid level detection - detecting when bottles or vessels are full.
- Pavement profile and texture measurement.
- Inner Diameter measuring, down to 8mm DIA bore. Enquire for bespoke applications.
Laser sensors are suitable for use in dirty environments as the laser can “burn” through the dust. They are often used for position measurement on small objects as they can be very precise.
Laser Sensors from Ixthus
Take a look at all of our laser sensors on our website.
Most of our laser sensors have the following features;
- Measuring ranges to 1250mm
- High level of accuracy
If you would like more information on laser sensors or for help with selecting a laser sensor for your application, we are also able to offer bespoke solutions, please contact us.
For more information please contact: Ixthus Instrumentation Email: email@example.com Tel:+44 (0) 1327 353437 Fax: +44 (0) 1327 353564
Article date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 12:21:58 +0000 GMT
Title:What is a Laser Sensor?