Capacitive Sensors are a type of non-contact position sensor. They offer high accuracy and high stability.
Capacitive sensors are part of our product range at Ixthus. They are used to detect the presence or absence of an object regardless of the material of the object in question.
Capacitance sensing is a high precision, high bandwidth, non-contact displacement measurement
How does a Capacitive Sensor Work?
A capacitive sensor uses the electrical property of capacitance to determine the presence of an object.
Capacitance can be described as how two separate objects with space between them react to a voltage difference applied to them. The voltage applied will create an electrical field which allows positive and negative charges to collect at each object. The capacitive sensor uses an alternating current allowing the positive and negative charges to flow.
A capacitive sensor has an internal plate, the external capacitance between the target and the internal sensor plate forms part of the feedback allowing the sensor to measure position.
When using a capacitive sensor for measuring position it is important to note the size of the object requiring positioning measurement as a larger object will require a larger active surface of the sensor used. The larger the sensing face, the larger the object and the larger the sensing distance.
What are Capacitive Sensors Used For?
Capacitive Sensors can be used within other sensing technologies, and for applications including;
· Liquid Level
· Angle sensing
· Linear position sensing
· Thickness measurement
· Key switches
The Capacitive Sensors Ixthus can offer are suitable for;
· Displacement measuring and monitoring
· Wafer metrology systems for accurately measuring wafer thickness and shape
· Diamond turning
· High precision spindle analysis
· Wafer surface detection in semi-conductor equipment
Benefits of using Capacitive Sensors
There are many types of non-contacting position sensors to choose from when measuring position. Some of the benefits of using capacitive sensors are;
· High Accuracy
· High Stability
· High Resolution
· High Bandwidth
· Low noise performance
· Fast response
· Offer completely non-contact position measurement
Capacitive Sensors from Ixthus
Our range of capacitive sensors come from our supplier Microsense and are available within the UK from us.
All Microsense capacitive sensors have the following features;
- True non-contacting (non-touching) capacitive position measurement – offering the most accurate electrical sensing technology.
- Detection of any conductive, grounded target – material or surface finish will have no effect on accuracy of measurement.
- Optimised for short measurement ranges – from 10 micrometres up to 4 millimetres, depending on the size of the sensor.
- Typical resolutions range from 0.1 nm (0.004 μin) to 50 nm (2 μin) Operating ranges are normally less than 3 mm (1/8 inch)
For more information on our range of capacitive sensors or to discuss your application please contact us.
For more information please contact: Ixthus Instrumentation Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel:+44 (0) 1327 353437 Fax: +44 (0) 1327 353564
Article date: Mon, 11 May 2020 09:15:47 +0100 GMT